Saturday, September 13, 2008

Is it possible to have the benefits of a relationship without being in one?

*Topic*
Let’s face it – no one WANTS to be alone, but it’s interesting to see how many people jump into “relationships" just to be in one.

But is it really necessary?

Nowadays, people who are “dating," enjoy the same benefits as people in relationships including (but not limited to) going out, cuddling, laughing, having serious convos, smashing (lol)---

But there are some people who would disagree. Being in a “relationship” includes (but is not limited to) deeper emotional involvement, exclusiveness, and a stronger possibility of a long-term commitment.


*Question*

Is it possible to have the BENEFITS of a relationship without being in one?

*5 Questions to consider*
How do you define, “relationship”?
How important is it that titles are established in dating/relationships?
Can you be committed to someone WITHOUT being in a relationship?
Would you get into a relationship that you KNOW isn’t going to last?
Can you be in a relationship without being in love?


Here's Where I Stand...

Before I even answer that question, I must say that a "relationship" (in my opinion) is something that should last forever. Sure relationships are all fun and games when we're younger, but as we get older, the game gets old. As such, I do not take the relationship title lightly.


I'd like to say that I believe it is very possible to have the same benefits of a relationship without being in one. I feel like one can happily live in the moment with the person that makes him/her happy. People should be able to date who they want and when they want, without signing their names on a dotted line. Dating dismisses one from the "obligations" that he/she would have in a relationship (calling everyday, being exclusive, etc). Don't get me wrong, I also believe that one can ALSO be exclusive when dating -- but it's not required. If one chooses to be exclusive for the time being -- so be it, but he/she should never get into a relationship that he/she didn't think would last.


Still...

It's something about the relationship title that makes everything seem more "secure." I feel a lot of people don't get into relationships because they don't want the unnecessary drama, but the same can be said for people in relationships. You get what I'm saying? I believe that being in a relationship could lead to less "trust issues," which is a level of trust that can not be achieved when people are just "dating."


Whatever -- I'm done talking lol. Where Do You Stand?


Top Reader Comments:

  1. “I think real relationships begin when there is no title or commitment
  2. “My mother always told me "who will take the whole cow when they can get the milk for free?"
  3. “I think its the maturity of the people -- like think of people who never got married but live together for 30 years and are together
  4. “WOMEN...they need to have a title....for the sake of having one and half the time don’t even know why they like who they are with”
  5. “Well... I think its a different level of respect and companionship that comes with being in a relationship that u cant get from just dating”
  6. “Dating to me is just convenient sex… what else really comes out of it”
  7. “If there wasn’t a difference, why would there even be a such thing as relationships?”
  8. “Yes it is possible for people to be in a relationship without falling in love just as if you’re in love when you’re not in a relationship. It depends on what the person is looking for.”
  9. “I think people are too caught up not trying to have a title that they do not understand that they are in a relationship in many instances. Though I would hope that your relationship or whatever you want to call it has some monogamy, honesty, and conversation (especially if one of the parties chooses to sleep with someone else).”
  10. “Hiding behind the dating front lets people enjoy the fun parts of the relationship without any serious work and commitment.”

4 comments:

shan.will said...

Ohh this is a GREAT topic!

I think the most important thing about dating/relationships is that the parties are both on the same page and try to remain that way. If you decide that you are just dating then it needs to be explained up front that you have the option to talk to other people, because if not, it will come up later.

Additionally, when you have the benefits of a relationship, you better believe you're going to have the consequences of one as well – you cannot get one without the other. So expect some relationship type issues.

In most instances, one person will want to take the dating to a higher level which will cause mass confusion if the parties aren't on the same page. If you're having relations you can expect some feelings to be involved...I mean, who wants the person they're having relations with to be sharing the goodies with someone else? (that's not sanitary lol)

When dating borders on the edge of a relationship, I think people should start reevaluating the situation. I personally feel that you shouldn't give up the benefits while dating because it allows the person to become complacent with benefits without any obligations and if you're the one who's catching feeling, you are gonna be short!.

fuzzy said...

i would definitely say that one CAN have the benefits of a relationship without having the actual relationship. I would not say that dating is convenient sex.

I don't have much experience dating and I have only been in one major relationship. Coming into the reality of my life, i am realizing that things need to change. My perception of friendships, relationships and life ingeneral needed to be spotlighted. I am in the dating stages. I am not in the market for relationships, nor am I looking for sex. I am looking to get to know someone and vibe on that level. Conversation is what I want and I believe that is what dating should be.

A relationship would be the initial declaration of the exclusiveness of the couple. Marriage would be the final step in this long term commitment stage. Let me say this, if you get the benefits of a relationship, without having said relationship, you will not appreciate the relationship as well when/if it comes your way. My pastor tells me that less is more! Give alot less and you will have people desiring more. Don't give out everything at once. You want something for another day!

I think i've said enough. I got long winded! very nice blog man, i look forward to coming back!

What sparked you to create this blog?

Anonymous said...

If you squint real hard you can pretend that a dating relationship is just as satisfying as a committed relationship. When you are dating someone you are having a half-a**ed relationship. It is like living with someone for as long as you can without ever getting married. Hiding behind the dating front lets people enjoy the fun parts of the relationship without any serious work and commitment. I have much, much more to say on this but wanted to get this in for consideration for the 9 o' clock posting.

Anonymous said...

it depends what your looking for if your looking for company then no cause you have freinds and family but if want a person to be with you and only with you then it would be consider a relationship, yes it is poosibsle for people
to be in a relationship without falling in love just as if your in love when your not in a relationship because it depends what the peron is looking for.