Tuesday, September 23, 2008

On the Corner: Discussing how anyone wearing Obama paraphernalia will be turned away from voting on election day

What's good everyone? Welcome to “On the Corner!”

In this series, I will discuss things unrelated to our normal topics, but close enough to keep your thoughts flowing.

I wanted to come to you all this evening to discuss an email I received today. In fact – I received it from three separate parties. Some of you may have received it as well.

It is an email warning Obama supporters not to wear any Obama paraphernalia to vote or they will be turned away.

The email reads:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ADVISE EVERYONE YOU KNOW THAT THEY ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT GO TO THE POLLS WEARING ANY OBAMA SHIRTS, PINS OR HATS, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW AND WILL BE GROUNDS TO HAVE THE POLLING OFFICIALS TO TURN YOU AWAY.

THAT IS CONSIDERED CAMPAIGNING AND NO ONE CAN CAMPAIGN WITHIN X AMOUNT OF FEET TO THE POLLS. THEY ARE BANKING ON US BEING EXCITED AND NOT BEING AWARE OF THIS LONG STANDING LAW THAT YOU CAN BET WILL BE ENFORCED THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE BANKING THAT IF YOU ARE TURNED AWAY YOU WILL NOT GO HOME AND
CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES. PLEASE JUST DON'T WEAR OBAMA GEAR OF ANY SORTS TO THE POLLS!!

PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION, OH AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE ALREADY AWARE THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO INSULT YOUR INTELLIGENCE.

JUST TRYING TO COVER ALL GROUNDS.

Here’s Where I Stand…
I am glad that this message is being passed around, but I can’t help but wonder if it is legit or another scare tactic. I did some research and it has been posted in blogs all around the Internet, and no one seems to know the true source of the email.

I know that signs can’t be placed within a certain amount of feet of a polling place, but, I must admit that I am unaware of the any clothing rules.

As far as I’m concerned (correct me if I’m wrong), one should be able to wear whatever they want to the polls. However, if the law IS true, then I have no choice but to back down: rules are rules. Perhaps it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Still…
I can’t help but wonder who created this email and why it seems to be targeted toward Obama supporters.

Regardless of which party someone decides to support, America will experience history in the making. As such, there is a reason for everyone to be excited.

Should we even assume that the same email is being forwarded to McCain/Palin supporters? If not, why?

Stand with me “On the Corner” and throw in your two cents.

Where do you stand?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is true. Doing general election research will verify this information. It even holds for local elections....I was campaigning for a cousin this summer and couldn't go inside to get a drink of water because I was wearing one of his shirts!

This is being targeted to Obama supporters because Republicans are going to try to find anyway to disenfranchise Obama supporters in November....even if it isn't why would you be upset over this being a hoax? Better to be safe than sorry, right?

PasticheBella said...

Technically its true because its a form of campaigning but the way in which its written leads recipents of the email weary. Its not written formally and at first when I received it I thought it was fake but remembered that you cant be a certain amount of space away from polling sites.

Good Job homie on the blog, I'll be checking in!
~Tiffany

Anonymous said...

I'll throw in Snope's 2 cents - http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/electioneering.asp

Anonymous said...

Not tagged it this note, BUT, I definitely heard it was true in most precincts, so I would definitely advise people not to wear shirts to the polls.

Anonymous said...

I think its targeted toward Obama supporters largely because Obama supporters were most likely to wear an array of Obama Paraphernalia.
We found many ways to support our candidate (now president) including bedazzled T-Shirts, Scarves, Sneakers. You saw it on Election Day at The Spot (here's the hint who I am) There were some very creative outfits. Remember the Obama Dress?

How many McCain/Palin Supporters did you see walking around with an airbrushed photo of Father Time-- err I mean McCain on their sneakers?

We really outdid ourselves this time. There are Obama computer games, all sorts of buttons and pins, hats.. We went over the top, and rightly so! I read the email as a word of caution, in case someone decided to get a full sized tattoo of Obama on their backs and walk into the polls shirtless. ;-)

M